Thursday, July 20, 2006

Stage 18 goes from Morzine to Macon. It descends from the mountains area to flatter terrain for a distance of 197 km. I did not do this stage. Last night I still had stomach cramps and could not get to eat much. This morning I woke up with a sore stomach and I opted to pass on this stage. I want to start regaining my strength as I will get back to my regular life soon.

So I am in Macon already, having arrived in Van No 1. We are staying at a four star country side hotel, so I am definitely not roughing it today. I am having an outdoor lunch by the pool. It is the perfect time to reflect on the Alps stages.

The last three days have been surreal. The distances we cover, 120+ miles every day, plus the terrain, make for super long, hard days. Add to that the fact that we have been riding 120+ miles every day for the past two weeks and that makes this challenge truly extreme.

I look at the few pictures I took, and it is hard to believe that we went up those passes. The roads wind at different grades for hours at a time. When you see a Cat 2 climb you know you will climb 45 minutes plus, when you see a Cat 1 it is an hour plus and if it is HC, well be patient, because it will be an hour plus, and it might really kick at the end.



As you climb throught these winding roads, you learn to look for the campers and caravans. When you start seeing them, then you figure you are about 3K or so from the top. But some of the famous climbs, like Alpe D'Huez, campers line both sides of the road from the bottom of the climb all the way to the top.



These fans are amazing. They cheer everyone, no matter how fast or slow you are going. They will spray water at you, offer you a drink, etc. Whatever they can to help you get over the top. You see the fresh paint on the road, where the fans have written down the names of their favorites, and you are inspired to keep moving.

When I started this challenge, I thought that our efforts would not compare to the efforts that are put out by the pros. But now I disagree. I definitely think we got a taste for some of that suffering and overcoming. We might not be doing it at the speeds the pros are, but we are out there two or three hours longer than they are. And believe me, tackling an HC climb, with 7 plus hours on the legs makes a difference. Climbing the same climb with 4-5 hrs on the legs is much easier. The first and second climb in the day, I can go at it fine, but as the day progresses and I get past 7 hrs riding time (not including stops), my muscle strength is not there anymore. I know that further training would enhance that, as when I started this challenge, I would get to that feeling flat after only 4 hrs riding time.

But if there is a place for an extreme challenge climax, it has to be the Alps. Their beauty, vastness, and cycling lore are unparalleled. If you are a cyclist, by all means, do try to make it to the Alps. They are awesome.













1 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

prefers recognise prisoners vacman throbbing urdu satisfactory tomonopolise revocable categorize ives
lolikneri havaqatsu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home