Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Stage 11 is over. I went as hard for as long as I could. I managed to finish the first three climbs and my legs had no more.

This was a tough stage. It put in perspective the enormity of this attempt. After yesterday, I was so tired, I could not believe 12 hours later I would have to climb again.

So this morning, I was glad we had about 60 kilometers before hitting the climbs. And this time, the run into the climbs was easy grades and flats so I was grateful.

But once we hit the Col du Tourmalet, I knew it would be a very hard day. I brought the ipod and thank god for that invention. I was able to pace myself with music through it. Did the same for the Col Daspin and the Col de Peryscope, and at the lunch stop there, already 3PM, I was cramping badly. I was concerned about the descent with the legs as stiff as they were. There was no more energy left.

The group continued on. I realize I am outclassed here, and need to recognize my limits. Tomorrow we still have 211 km to go and then the Alps. So I thought better of it and stopped before the two additional climbs.

I gave it everything I had, I just do not have the legs these guys have.





5 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberto, I am a friend of Joe Tonon's from Marblehead. I have been reading your posts and did the reverse of this climb two years ago during the Tour. Mark was with me on that trip that year. I was sick the day before with a fever and climbed only half the day. I am writting to tell you I have felt only a small portion of your pain. I don't think I could do what you are doing. These are not easy stages, I do recall that two years ago Tyler Hamilton pulled out of the tour during these climbs as did Mayo. I am cheering for you. Keep your chin up. Glen Darby

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberto,

I remember how cooked I was last year after riding two alpine passes -- and that was only a 100 km day. You're putting in an amazing effort. At speeds much faster than I managed, I'll bet.

So what are the race radios like? What's their range? What kind of chatter goes on?

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberto,

This ride is truly such an accomplishment. I hope you realize that. How many people could even begin to do this? My thoughts are with you. Best of luck to you throughout the ride.

Kay C.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberto - Watching these stages the day after you rode them gives a perspective on what you're doing! It truly gives me a ton of respect for you when you see how much the pros suffer doing the same rides.

How do these climbs compare to the Mountain Lake climb? Is it even close? Hang in there!

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am checking your posts daily. And every day my admiration grows. It is not an easy thing what you have set out to do. That's for sure. I ache for you sometimes. I know you are giving it your everything and then some, like you always you. Hang in there. Despite the pain, I know you are enjoying this adventure. Take care and Godspeed to you bro!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home