Monday, July 17, 2006

The stage from Gap to Alpe D'Huez is done. The day went very well for me today. I finally found my climbing legs and attacked the first two climbs. I am still learning to climg these long steep climbs and I am realizing I was spending just as much energy going at a slower constant pace or going in surges where I get up and power for a few meters then sitting to recoup a bit and then get up again. The first climb was not suppopsed to be our first climb. Some joker switched the signs and we went the wrong col. But I was feeling good then, so when the real Col came I continued to climb the same way. Finally I could get ahead of the group and try to recoup before getting to the top. These guys are strong and caught me within 5k of the top. I still managed to get to the first col within a few minutes of when they got there. My ailments are still there, but my body is learning that we are going to continue riding, so it seems to complain less.

It was now close past 4 hrs of riding and we had two more cols. Our stage was going to be 12 k longer. But the day of rest did wonders to my legs. That and being the Alpe D'huez stage I was super motivated to do well.

One aspect that I have not figured out yet is how to eat. One is either climbing or descending. And we only stop for a few minutes at the top of the cols. There I just can not eat. I am too spent. So I am drinking SPIZ a protein drink. I had two bottes today and another one at the end of the day.

But on the third col, I just had to stop. We were now past 5 hours, and I had not eaten a full sandwich yet, nor gone to the restroom. So I said screw it and waived for the van. I put my bike in and ate and it stopped at the most discrete spot. Every col is full of campersd, but I did not care. I met the group at the top, had cut the ride by 7k but it saved me.

Then downhill forever get to Bourg doisans and now we have Alpe Dhuez. Some of you ask me how hard these climbs are. By themselves they are long but doable. I had climbed the first col at a good clip. However here I am at the bottom of Alpe Dhuez caked in salt, having been 7:30 hrs on the bike riding. This is the tough part. I already felt spent, but powered it up as best I could. Still using the surges, but now much slower. I was spent, my heart rate could not get past 145. But climbing alpe dhuez the day prior to the tour is surreal. Everyone encourages you, they throw water at you, no matter what speed you are going. Finally I see turn 2 and I know there is just one more.

I arrive totally spent. Again could not eat much. Even during dinner it was a huge effort.

But the queen stage is done and I feel good. Finally, a good climbing stage.

Now tomorrow, less than 9 hours from now we get to do it again. But that is tomorrow. I am going to bed happy tonight.

3 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberto,

So glad to hear you had an awesome day. Bet your adventure makes Mountains of Misery a distant memory and just a handful of foothills.

Keep up the great work!

TJ Hegerich

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberto,

I'm so happy you did great !!! I know you are going to finish this Tour very strong !!

Tania

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alberto,

I saw Phil and Tania in the Lyon airport and we had a great time chatting about all of our adventures in France. It's hard to believe that you are still out there slogging away day after day. I envy you in some ways but in other ways I'm glad to be typing this in the comfort of my air conditioned office after spending many days in the brutal alpine sun.

Keep up the good work.

Sean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home