Saturday, July 15, 2006

Stage 13 and Stage 14 are done now. I am in Gap once again with no wifi, only mobile blogging for now.will post pictures later.

Stage 13 was 145 miles long in 105 degree weather. If there was a death march this was it. To add to the mix, I went down today just before lunch. My butt was killing me so I stopped to play with the positionig. After, I took a tow with the van and we hit some gravel and went down. Not too bad, but enough road rash in the leg and elbow to be bothersome.

It was a low point, as it appeared I was full of bad luck. But when I think about it, everyone is hurting, in one way or another. We have a guy with stomach issues, someone's hamstring is bad, and saddle sores are there too. But somehow, most of these guys are able to surpass these issues and ride. I had quit after lunch, feeling sorry for the road rash and bruised knee. But then it hit me, thse guys are having issues and still overcome them and keep riding. Here I am in the van.

That was inspiration for today. The start was past hurt, it was comical. I have a bruised knee, road rash, my but is sore and my left leg was so tight it felt it would cramp any minute.

To add to the mix, today's stage was not an easy one. Two Cat 2 climbs, two Cat 3 climbs. Temperatures were expected in the nineties. So we get going and I am glad the pace is slow. I kept telling myself, tomorrow is a rest day, just surive today.

Within 10 kilometers we hit the first cat 3. I fully expected my left leg to cramp. I kept a harder gear, trying to keep the same cadence, speed as the group. I kept moving the leg, and the right knee was more bruised than I thought. It was commanding more attention. I realized it really hurt when I stood on the pedals.

I was pleasently surprised that the grade on the climb was easy, it was just a freaking long climb.

The only good thing about climbs is that when you are on top, you get to go down. I would not have to worry about a climb for another 50 km.

It is all mental now. My body recovers only so much. Even massage, it helps only up to a point. And yes, massage is very painful; as the muscles are so tight.But you know it is needed so you make do.

The pros that do this for a living, live a very hard life. This is extreme for sure.

The human body is amazing, but more amazing is the determination these people have to endure. Some might not know any better and do it, but the stars, the ones that get the comforts in life and stay in the sport amaze me.

Anyway, back to the stage. The Cat 2 climb shows it face and this is a long climb, 14 km or so. I try my best to keep pace and realize that the group is climbing together. Either they are slow or I am going faster today, because I usually lose contact within 5km. However today we were 10km into it and I was still there. Finally with 2km left in the climb I slowly see them ride away.

The final climb went very similar so I felt really good about today.
One nice moment that ocurred close to the top was that one of the support riders eased up and waited for me and encouraged me to keep the pace strong. He was asking me not to ease up, to keep it smooth and strong. So I got to the top feeling the best I have felt for a while. On the downhill we catch up with the others.


I learned quite a bit today about my limits. I just hope I do not hurt myself badly in the process.

Some of you might wonder if I am having fun. It is an experience for sure, with lots of contrast. The scenery is spectacular, we pass wineries,peach farms, olives, and lots of gorgeous little towns. The hotels and food are first class, so we get very nice dinners and desserts.

Then when morning arrives, we just have to ride our butts off for 8 hrs :)

2 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun? It's suppposed to be all about the suffering - right? It'll be FUN when you re-tell your adventures to us slugs back home. Congratulations on another spectacular accomplishment.

Mike McCarley

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberto you never cease to amaze me. I feel tired and sore just reading your updates. Hang in there I know you are going to make it through to the end. Have a Cognac for me when you finish. :-)
~Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home