Thursday, June 29, 2006

Flying into France brought its expected challenges. From the start I had to stand in several lines to get my bike checked in. Apparently I had to call them in advance and tell them the dimensions of the bike box. So I had to pay the overage of $25. I would have gladly paid, had I known that was the only issue. Instead, I had to stand in several lines to get that straightened out.

So off I go to the plane now. Well the weather in Virginia was fine, it seemed, but for some reason they were not letting the planes leave because of "bad weather". I am not sure where this bad weather was, but an hour and a half later, sitting on the runway with the engines out, finally the engines are back on and the pilot leaves like a madman.

Arriving in Paris, brought the expected missed flight lines, however, getting into a new flight to Strasbourg was easier than I thought. Instead of leaving at 8:30AM, I was now to leave at noon. But, to add insult to injury, the flight into Strasbourg was delayed! We sat in the transport bus, not able to get into the plane for about an hour.


Anyway, finally in Strasbourg, I get to rub elbows with Tour de France celebrities. I got to talk to Bob Roll who was on the same flight as me. So I had a few chuckles while waiting for the bikes. This guy is funny.

The time went by, Bob finally gets his bags, leaves, and I am still waiting for my bike. When I was the only guy left, I realize that no bike had arrived, only my suitcase. And I had paid the excess baggage fee and all but no bike.

So now, I get picked up by Destination Cycling group and off the Hotel. My bike will hopefully arrive on the 7PM flight; it is 6PM now, waiting patiently to call. At least we will be three days in Strasbourg, so I have to get a bike by then.

The few lucky ones that got here on time, got to go for a quick spin around Strasbourg. These guys look fit. So I am going to sit on wheels for a while until I figure out the pecking order.



This is going to be awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home