Friday, June 02, 2006

Training for this event has been a project all in itself. Since the beginning of the year, I have logged 5,000+ miles on the bike.

The training started in the Fall with weights, swimming, spinning, and riding my bike commuting to work mainly. Starting in January I continued with the weights and swimming and increased the intensity with the spinning.

I was fortunate that January was a mild month and I was able to ride outside most weekends. It was not until February that riding outside became a bit more challenging, but with a bike light and winter clothing, it was doable.



I started moving to longer rides in late February and March, combining both distance and climbing. I was going to Skyline Drive to ride there in late February and most of March. During the week, commuting added to the time on the bike.

The weights and swimming stopped by March. I just did not have time to fit them in. I did keep the spinning though. At least once a week, one hour of spinning keeps the intensity and anaerobic engine in check.

In April and May, it has been mainly time on the bike. Reaching some 300+ mile weeks. However, individually, each of my rides has not been more than 90 miles. The only 100+ mile ride was Mountains of Misery, which was 128 miles. And that one hurt at the end. In retrospect, I should have done more of those. But I am pretty much out of time. I have two weeks left before resting the body. Maybe one more long ride will fit this weekend, but that is about it.



I hope what I have done will be enough for France. I will know soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home